Friday, May 22, 2009

Japan 2009: Arrival

SeaTac Gate N10: 11 AM

I’m surrounded by toddlers, which does not bode well for the length of this flight. They are pressed up against the window leaving trails of smudge marks and crying out “airplane” whenever one passes. The fathers are keeping watch on the makeshift daycare, making small talk about their kids. Fortuitously it sounds as though only two toddlers are destined for Tokyo (and the one kicking the window is going to South Carolina, thank goodness) - perhaps the flight will not be as rambunctious as I feared. I was reminded of my fear of toddlers in enclosed spaces when a young girl threw a remarkably loud tantrum (“I want it! Now! I want it now!”) while I was looking for travel sized bottles in the Bartell Drugstore near my apartment last night. All that’s left for me now is to hope for the best.


I made it to the airport unexpectedly early (especially for me!) thanks to my Mom driving me. Added bonus, I got freshly baked mom cookies and to see my dad before we left the house. Now I’m sitting here waiting two hours for my flight, listening to the warnings about flu quarantine for anyone displaying a fever (all passengers will have their temperature taken at customs), and all passengers seated within 2 meters. A lot of the Japanese passengers are wearing masks, even in the airport, so I figure they must know the warnings are serious. Time to go grab a bagel so I have something to eat for the next 10 hours. I should’ve brought something with me but I wasn’t sure if they would let me in with outside food :(


Update: why the hell does everyone else want a bagel too? I had to settle for a Rice Krispy Treat emergency ration from a vending machine. I really wish I had stopped at Whole Foods on the way to the house. Alas, hindsight!


In The Air: + 2.5 hours 

I am on a 777 and it’s absolutely packed. They let me onto the plane with my bag, my laptop bag, and my purse (victory!) so I didn’t have to check any bags. According to the captain, we’ll land early even though we have a strong headwind! Unfortunately, my luck with the toddlers did not hold. I am seated directly behind an adorable and very curious little blonde German boy, about 3 or  4 years old. He seems to enjoy standing on his seat and staring at me over the back of the seat. He looks like he really wants my mom cookie but I don’t care how adorable he is - my cookie! The toddler in the row in front of him is even louder and they’re feeding off each other now, making quite a lot of noise, but at least the younger one stopped crying!


The takeoff was beautiful! I love flying out of Seatac on sunny days. The mountain (Ranier) was out, and I got to enjoy views of it here and there, behind buildings as we sat at the gate and every time we turned while navigating our way to the proper runway for takeoff. I haven’t flown West from Seattle since I went to Hawaii years and years ago, and never in a path that took me truly Northwest, so I was really happy to fly directly over Seattle (I found my apartment! Easy to do when you’re a few blocks away from radio towers and Seattle U) and the sound. There were lots of boats out on Lake Washington since it is such a lovely day and I’m sure Greenlake was packed with people too.The ferries and big boats were out and the shipping lanes were busy too! We flew right over Vancouver Island and what I can only assume were the Canadian section of the Cascades - my first thought was that we were over the Olympic peninsula, but we were going far more Northerly, so I waved at Canada out the window. I really wish they would turn on the map that tracks our flight, I love knowing where I am when I look out the window. Usually the highlight of my flight is snapping a picture of Mt. Ranier as we fly overhead, but this time I was treated to the view in the other direction and it didn’t disappoint. There’s still a considerable amount of snow in the Cascades and they looked lovely and crisp out the window. I think I saw Mt. Baker, but I’ll have to consult a map later.


The cloud cover has become pretty blinding now that we are farther out over the Pacific, so it’s time to stop Earth gazing. I think I’ll put my book away and try to take a nap!!


The International Dateline, or, I Can See Russia From My Airplane Window: + 4 hours

I managed to take a brief semi-nap (woken by the aforementioned crying toddler) before lunch. I would have been crankier, but I can tell I would be very sore if I’d stayed in that position much longer. It’s been such a long time since I have flown on a long enough flight for meal service that I forgot just how terrible the vegeterian/vegan/kosher meal tastes (no wonder they usually just call it the “special” meal). Some things never change, and my meal request wasn’t processed, but they were unexpectedly able to provide me with someone else’s meal (the nice flight attendant would only say “it’s a long story” as to why they actually had extra vegetarian meals, but I won’t turn down free food even if it’s pretty gross! It’s definitely been too long since I traveled. I forgot all about the Coke Light that tastes like Coke Classic only slightly less sweet. Off topic notes: Nine Inch Nails really drown out engine noise and I’m really not used to my new haircut - I haven’t had bangs since High School (I think I’m missing all the WoW guys because that definitely deserved a “that’s what she said”). We’re 3500 miles into the flight now, and we’ve been flying past Siberia for ages. 


Almost There: +7 hours

Batteries are running low, SOS! I’m getting really congested so I hope they don’t hassle me at the health check. We’re nearing Japan and I should be able to see a bit of land soon. The little German boy and the little Japanese boy are sharing toys and playing with each other over the back of the seats. It’s pretty cute. Now the German daddy is teaching them how to make paper airplanes and they’re (all three) playing with them. The clouds are too thick to see through, so I’m going to shut down and go back to my book. I’ll be on the ground in about an hour!

1 comment:

  1. Wash your hands!
    Don't touch that! (anything in the airport on on the plane)
    Wash yor hands again!
    Dad

    ReplyDelete