Friday, May 29, 2009

Random Notes

I have unfortunately hit my bandwidth cap for the month on Flickr, so the remaining pics from Kyoto will have to wait a few days.

In the meantime I wanted to post a few random notes and observations.

Trains
1) Japanese trains are wonderful. They are fast and quiet. Even the subways are on time! There are displays on all the platforms stating the current time and the arrival time for the next line, which is absolutely ingenious. They also have comfy cushioned seats.
2) Japanese trains are clean. Even the stations are clean. They don't smell like armpits and urine. I wish I could say the same for the 1-9 in NYC.
3) Japanese trains are made for tiny people! I can reach the hand rails and use the handles which makes me really happy.

Bicycles
1) In Tokyo we saw quite a lot of bicycles, but mostly pedestrians (probably due to how excellent the trains and train coverage are).
2) In Kyoto there are bicycles and bicyclists everywhere (probably due to how sparse the train coverage is). 
3) Boys and girls talk on their cellphones while they pedal, women hold parasols or umbrellas, men have their briefcases in the basket and women have kids mounted on their handlebars in child seats (some women transport another kid behind the seat, too!). Also, women ride bikes in miniskirts, high heels, sandals, and all sorts of getups that I would never imagine bicycling in.

No comments:

Post a Comment