Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Bonn

Beethoven's birthplace
One train ride later and I'm in the city that birthed Beethoven and was once the capital of West Germany, Bonn.

U. picked me up at the Hauptbahnhof and we wandered around the university and the main part of the city for much of the day. It was a lovely day today As it might rain tomorrow, we lucked out on the weather, too. The city has bikes and pedestrians all over, including a Fußgangerplatz (pedestrian zone) that stretches through much of the city center. There was a daily market, as well as plenty of open space for other activities in this zone. Seems near perfect for a citywide gathering place!

Muster Basilica
There are also some beautiful old buildings here. For example, der Bönner Münster. The church was beautiful on the inside, as well, but I did not want to disturb those who were using the building for religious reasons by indiscriminately taking photos while they are praying.

Bonn Universität
Many of the buildings that comprise the Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn are also old and historical, making for lovely viewing (though I suspect that the students, like those at any university, adjust to their surroundings). I have a deep love of old buildings, so this particular wandering made me quite happy.
Rhein Fluss

Bonn is located on the Rhein river, which was also a stop today. The Rhein is important for movement of various goods, something highly important for the development and maintenance of societies (as I learned TAing last year). It wasn't difficult to imagine this swift-flowing river being used for trading, even with smaller crafts and less efficient motors. I might take a river cruise on one of my days here, it looks lovely.

That is all for today! I am completely beat and have to go to bed before I pass out. I am trying to get permission to link a Picasa album to this blog so that you all can see my photos. If not, I will continue to leave the most pertinent/interesting/best photos on here!

No comments:

Post a Comment