Tuesday, August 24, 2010

From the Franfurt (M) Flughafenbahnhof



(nb: This was written before I found an internet connection, so in the paaaast.)

I am currently sitting in the Frainkfurt (M) Flugbahnhof, waiting for my train to Bonn. Since it's about two hours in the future, thought I'd type a bit. (I'll have to wait for free wireless to post, of course!)

The flights over went smoothly. Sleeping on a plane always sucks, even more so if one doesn't have a window upon which to lean, but I was lucky enough to have a free seat next to me. Not that I completely fit in two airplane seats lying down, of course, but I was able to curl up in a few positions, making it not too bad. We were shuttled out into the deep reaches of the airport and had to deplane using (wet) stairs. Not sure I've done that with an international flight before!

Customs was surprisingly easy -- basically just a passport check and stamp, then a request to declare things that oughtn't be brought into the country. No forms, no lines (besides the initial passport check). Most of the waiting really, since I'm a fast walker and was through passport check before most people got that far, was for the checked bags.

So far, I've used German four times, twice successfully and once so la la. 1) A lady asked me to watch her bags while she used the toilet, then wished me a lovely day on her way out. Mich: "Kein problem. Tchüss." 2) Ordering espresso and a muffin for breakfast and answering "Für hier" (after the guy repeated the question...still not sure what "to go" is). 3) Asking if I could sit in a free seat. I mixed up the word order, but talked so quietly that the lady I asked probably didn't even actually hear me, much less notice my mistake. (The chair was free.) 4) Asking how large the coffee cups are at another stand. (Not worth €3.)

I also managed to find the train station easily (oh, the signage here!) and wander a bit before settling down to wait. Next job: figure out where my assigned seat is on the train. The plan is to watch the writing on the windows of earlier trains. Sneaky Chris hopefully FTW!

PS: Holy crap, the food court at the train station smells good! Fresh-baked everything, no fast food, just pastries and sandwiches.

PPS: Automatic doors!

1 comment:

  1. German train stations sound much less confusing than Polish ones. :) It's cool that you're blogging about your pre-fieldwork too - looking forward to continuing to read about it! Dresden and Berlin were interesting places to visit, although I can't offer any recommendations fieldwork-wise.

    ReplyDelete