Monday, August 30, 2010

Köln

Today was super busy! I took the train to Köln and saw some of the sights.

It just keeps going...
Sight #1 (and hard to miss coming out of the Hauptbahnhof) was the Kölner Dom, a cathedral of epic proportions. I took the not-quite-a-tour up (and up and up and up) the stairs to some extremely high vantage point that was even above the bells. I can't remember how many steps -- there was a listing when you go in -- but it felt like nine or ten million. (Okay, fine, it was probably only in the thousands...) 90-something meters, though. Yeah.

Of course, I decided to take photos of myself in front of the Dom after I made that trek. They kind of look like I just climbed a human-made mountain. Go figure!

Random pillars of, well, pillars
Next to the Dom, and something I'd visit if it weren't Monday (museums here are closed Mondays) is the Römisch-Germanische Museum (Roman-German Museum). It chronicles the Roman settlements that were in the area long before, say, the Dom was built. There were some large carved stones, usw., on exhibit outside, so I took some photos regardless.

Otters! <3
Something that was open on Monday, though, was the Köln Zoo. It's celebrating its 150th anniversary this year. I do believe that makes it the oldest zoo I've visited. It also had the most active bunch of animals I've ever seen. Maybe it's because it wasn't hot (or even warm) out or maybe it was the feeding schedules, but they were generally all out and about, doing their animal-ey things. The elephant exhibit is absolutely huge and amazing, with indoor and outdoor areas. I took the time to watch the penguin and otter feedings, too, which were both a lot of fun. (There are videos of both, which can be shown upon request when the requestor sees me.)

I spent some time wandering around Köln's shopping district (also right next to the Hauptbahnhof) and, had my camera battery not died by this time, would be regaling you with photos reminiscent of Tokyo meets Europe. German and foreign stores were all mixed together in buildings with huge signs, all next to one another. I checked out the Lego Store (it's the same as the others I've seen, no surprise) and the Game Stop (following a friend's suggestion to get games in German for language practice...nothing good for under €20,00, though), along with a few stores not found in the US.

Hopped the train back to U.'s, and now it's time to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment