Monday, September 6, 2010

Leipzig, 2. Tag

This sign is awesome
More DDR history today! I visited the Museum in der Runde Ecke, the Stasi Museum. It's located in the former headquarters and is filled with information on what the Stasi did and how they did it. There were some really neat things in there, such as a disguise kit and a shredding-and-wetting machine for disposing of documents. The mail opening and closing equipment was also quite interesting. On the other side of the building is an additional, temporary exhibit on the Herbst 1989 Friedliche Revolution (Autumn 1989 Peaceful Revolution). It appears that Leipzig was a center for the events that lead to the opening of the Grenze (border) and the reunification of Germany, starting nearly a year before Mauerfall in Berlin.

On a side note, I'm trying to figure out the difference between "Wir sind das Volk" and "Wir sind ein Volk." I've seen both slogans referenced, but only the "das" version in videos and descriptions of Herbst 1989. Perhaps "das" (the) was adjusted to "ein" (one) after Mauerfall and before Reunification? I think a history book is in order to answer this question.

The city crest is on everything here
The former Stasi building also hosts a Schulmuseum (School Museum), which contains mock-ups of classrooms and school materials from the early 20th century, to Nazi times, to the DDR. It appears that they also host groups of children from local schools, as one was there when I visited. (I came back to that section after they left.) It was an interesting look into how similar and different these time periods were in terms of how children were treated. (Remember, how children are treated and how they are taught to become good adults can tell one a lot about a society.)

Adorable check/receipt
I wandered about a bit before stopping at the Arabischen Coffe Baum, a museum in what was long one of the premiere coffee houses in Leipzig. I love coffee, as is common knowledge, so this was a great place for me to visit. The museum gives the history of coffee, starting in Ethiopia (legend has it), moving to the Arab world, and then becoming highly important to the Saxons who, apparently, refused to fight in a battle because they had no coffee. (Aha! I probably [we're not sure from where in Germany the family came] have Saxon blood, so this anecdote is now my excuse for my morning cup.) The fact that Leipzig was the first place to produce porcelain -- and porcelain coffee cups -- apparently didn't hurt the drink's rise in popularity. Of course, I had to stop at the cafe and try one of their special coffee concoctions. I mean, why wouldn't I, really?

Food is down (many) stairs
Finally, after more wandering, I headed to a place I'd seen yesterday for dinner. It appears to be a venue at times, but tonight was just a Kneipe (pub) and Restaurant. Cheap food and cheap beer, nice. It's a neat little place, somewhere I'd frequent if I lived nearby. I sat for a bit after finishing my beer and soaked in the atmosphere. A large group came in a bit later and it was time to head back.

Tomorrow, I head to Berlin, so it's upstairs to pack and then an early night for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment