Wednesday, September 1, 2010

To Dresden

Today was the looooong (okay, only seven hours) train trip from Bonn to Dresden and marks my first day on my own. It was actually a fairly uneventful trip. I had to change trains twice, but had ordered a window seat both times, so that was really no problem.

Hi, Mainz! Bye, Mainz!
The only bit that was not so good was my transfer in Mainz. I had planned to eat during the second transfer -- when I looked online, it was at a different train, to Frankfurt, with enough time to grab some food. Can't book online with no printer, though, so I had to speak with an agent. Result: different train. That was fine and all, but I didn't have much to eat with me. I ended up stopping at the vending machine on the platform between the two trains...which pulled up at the same time. (Good thing they were on the same platform!) The digestive-type cookies were good and I made it here without fainting from hunger. Generally a good thing.

Blocks...
There's a definite visual difference between the Rhein area and East Germany. You can still see the huge Soviet block-style apartments here and there's a lot of industry. Part of this might come from leaving the river. (Though the Elbe flows through Dresden, it's not, to my knowledge, a major water highway like the Rhein.) It might also have to do with economic differences, as Bonn is a rich area. The industrial focus of the DDR/GDR (depends on the language) is certainly a factor, though. (I'll likely see this more when in Leipzig.)

It was absolutely pouring when I got off the train. Perfect for the day when my place of temporary residence is the furthest from the station! I was pretty soaked by the time I found it and was glad to get into my room and take of my wet jacket. (My umbrella also broke, the casualty of a gust of wind and me having only one hand to hold on to it. Oh well, it was free in a girlbag and I found a new one in an Apotheke for only €2,75.)

After organizing myself in the room for a bit, I left to explore the area around the Hauptbahnhof and find some food. I found a lot of shopping and eating, which was nice. There's a huge hotel here that has three buildings right next to the Hbf. Each building has its own restaurant, even. I'll have to remember the name when I go by it again tomorrow so that I can link it here.

The Hbf and toward the Altstadt
After my wanderings, I stopped at the front desk to purchase internet access so that I could write this lovely thing. The hostel/hotel also has a bar on the top floor, so I decided to check out the view. When I can upload photos again, I'll post one or two of said view.

No comments:

Post a Comment